Mister Spex at the Berlin company run 2023
On 16 May 2023 it was that time again, around 15,000 runners, walkers and skaters from almost 900 companies took part in the 21st Berlin Company Run. Among them: a running delegation from Mister Spex! Along the 5.5 kilometre route, there were some well-known city landmarks to see, including the Brandenburg Gate and the Victory Column. Our Spexies all mastered the run with flying colours and toasted with a non-alcoholic beer afterwards. By the way, they also did something for their mental health.
As part of Mental Health Awareness Month, we talk openly about the topic of mental health. For example, our Director of Customer Service Pamela did. If you haven’t read the blog post yet, we highly recommend it (just click here to go to the post). But we would also like to share some tools that are good for mental health. One of these tools is regular exercise or sport. Why?
- Regular exercise and sport can help reduce the risk of depression and anxiety. One study found that physical activity can be as effective as antidepressants in treating depression. (Source: Harvard Health Publishing – Exercise is an all-natural treatment to fight depression)
- Physical activity can help promote stress reduction and relaxation. One study showed that physical activity promotes the release of endorphins, which can help reduce stress and promote a sense of relaxation. (Source: American Psychological Association – Exercise and stress: Get moving to manage stress)
- Regular physical activity can help improve self-esteem. A study found that physical activity can help improve self-esteem in people with depression and anxiety. (Source: International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice – Exercise therapy for schizophrenia)
- Exercise and sport can help improve memory and cognitive function. A study found that physical activity can strengthen the brain and improve memory and cognitive function. (Source: Frontiers in Human Neuroscience – Exercise Effects on the Brain and Cognition)
- Regular physical activity can help improve mood and promote an overall sense of well-being. A study showed that physical activity can help improve mood and promote an overall sense of well-being in people with depression and anxiety. (Source: Journal of Psychiatric Research – Exercise for the treatment of depression and anxiety)
There are many more reasons why exercise and sport are important for mental health, but these five points should give a good overview. The Berlin company run was a great experience all round. We are already looking forward to participating next year!
View all Blog Posts